Monday, March 15, 2010

HW 45 - More Big Thoughts on Schools

3. What additional points does reading these theorists make you think of, about your own education and philosophy?

After reading what these theorists had to say about how they feel about the way schools are run in today's society, it didn't really phase me much. I mean, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however, does it really matter how two theorists feel school should be run for US? I mean, while their intentions are good, THEY aren't the ones in the classrooms 5 days a week....WE are.

When reading about about Ted Sizer's CES organization, his opinions threw me off a bit. He believed that elective classes and sports weren't necessary and were "a distraction to the core curriculum". I mean....Really? So what about future Athletes, Photographers and Artists, they don't get to take part in their given activities in school because he feels that it isn't needed? Once again, I know he means well, but he should be listening tio today's students rather than telling them what he thinks is best for them.

UPDATE( 3-22-10): After sitting in Internship the period before this one in which I am currently typing up this extension, I can safely say that I can back up my opinion in which I say that Students know what's best for them in the classrooms. As I was in Internship, a class caught up in conversations about job interviews, I found myself actually listening. And why was I doing so? Because it ACTUALLY MATTERS!!!! Although a class such as Math has been a mainstay in the school curriculum for a long time, i find myself paying more attention in Internship class than I do in Math class. This is because students want to be taught stuff that will help them in the future. So rather have kids be forced to learn about Quadratic Functions and Combining Compounds (in Science), how about we learn more about job interviews and how to pay taxes NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment